Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What is the reason that you use me thus?

So I got to thinking about Hamlet… as one often does on inauspiciously auspicious days, and I realized that we all have moments in our lives that are like the “play within the play.” Suddenly we and everyone we know become actors, nothing is real, and we find ourselves doing crazy things to discover the truth.

God’s bodkin, man, we can do much better! I think the key is to avoid what Hamlet never could: inaction. Of course, this is easier said than done. And even if one is successful, who knows what dreams may come.

Take, for example, any time we “follow our heart.” Assuming I know what that concept means (and that’s a big assumption), I have always been one of its proponents. But it is such a demanding doctrine: it expects everything from us and guarantees nothing in return.

So why adhere to it? Ultimately, I would say it’s because we hope that no matter what challenges we face as a result of our allegiance to this doctrine, the strength it gives to our convictions will carry the day and bring us true happiness. And even if it doesn’t, we would rather go down swinging than never throw a punch.

Still, one cannot help but wonder if “following your heart” makes cowards of us all by, as Hamlet would say, sullying the native hue of resolution with the pale cast of thought. In any event, it certainly gives one a growing appreciation for the fallibility of human decision making, particularly on the biggest of stages.

I lov'd you ever: but it is no matter.
Let Hercules himself do what he may,
The cat will mew, and dog will have his day.

- Hamlet, Act V, Scene I

If she was meant for the stage, then I must have been meant to be a stage-lighter.

No comments: