Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The G-String is My Favorite

I used to think that math was the universal language. Then I picked up a guitar. No, it’s definitely music. Pythagoras had nothing on Jimmy Hendrix. Centripetal-force may explain why the world goes ‘round, but music actually does the work. (Note: I don’t actually know what centripetal-force is or what it does) Anyway, as I was saying, music transcends all boundaries, between young and old, rich and poor, sophisticated and unsophisticated. I can put on Miles Davis’ Birth of the Cool on the phonograph and instantly watch people from all walks of life hit the dance floor. I suspect senior couples in their 60-somethings would be out in particular force. If there is something else that can move an octogenarian so quickly, I haven’t heard of it.

One day I hope to be able to play music myself. One of the advantages of being in this empty Hall is that no one is subjected to hearing me sing. I am horrible. But I am making progress on the guitar. I have been learning to play Till Kingdom Come for two weeks now.

“For you I’d wait, till kingdom come
Until my days, my days are done
And say you’ll come and set me free
Just say you’ll wait, you’ll wait for me.”

- Till Kingdom Come, Coldplay


Music, unlike math, is always inspired by someone else. One can make the argument that The Blues are an exception. Perhaps that is the case. But I would say that even there the lyrics, introspective though they may be, are constructed for an audience. The Blues are not The Blues unless someone is listening; unless someone hears your pain.

I play music for someone else as well. Again, I am not very good. But my inspiration is without equal. I close my eyes and let her invisible hand pluck my heart-strings.

No comments: